First I want to tell you my story  who I am.  Well, my name is Til Bahadur Karki. I am chairing Orphanage namely 'Joint Disabled  Unity Awaj Center' in Budhanilkantha, Kathmandu. The center houses shelter for 29 children from different part of Nepal.  Majority of children sheltered here have come to the orphanage from poor family background whose parents lost their lives during decade long armed conflict led by then Maoist.  

I am now 40 years old. I left my home when I was at six. I am by physical, fall under physically differently-able person category. That's why I had to face forced-leave from home at my early age. In spite of being born in well-to-do family I didn't get opportunity for education. My father was village secretary then in eastern hill Panchthar district. When I was born with disability people started treating my parents differently. Actually my parents are intimidated, harassed and discriminated in the name of giving birth disable children which was so unfortunate to my parents.

That resulted me being confined at home. I was not allowed to play with children in the villages. I was also not enrolled to school since parents were not munch confidence to face odds incase I get to school. When I reached at six I could understand what's going on with my parents because of my physical condition. I wanted to join school instead I left home at six. Then I came to Kathmandu. I spent most of my childhood days being beggar near PashuPati temple. That was only one alternative left for me to feed myself. I later reached to  the contact of orphanage in my late childhood.
 
Despite hardships I eventually learned to live life. In a group of like minded people I have started my-self engaged in supporting those children whose childhood was similar to mine. I knew there were many shelters and orphanages running for children. Over the course of my life I gained skills being social workers. I served in orphanage homes. Stayed with children. Learned how to bring happiness in the face of children who have lost their happiness with the loss of parents.  I served in one orphanage near Santinagar Kathmandu for years. Some 6-7 months back some donors started funding for that orphanage. Problem of hand to mouth resolved. Children started getting better facility than before. The orphanage completely backed up by Australian donors. It was big relief for me as at least we could see children bright face.

But all of sudden, I noticed situation was getting unfortunate to me. Finally, it took U turn. I am treated differently. I feel I was being ignored by owner of that orphanage. I thought then, that was right time to take risk. I had organization in the capacity of NGO registered in 2007. Therefore I thought I should move ahead. I then established this orphanage 4 months ago in Budhanilkantha Kathmandu.

I already said there are 29 children are given shelter here. It's not easy to run orphanage as I thought. You can see I have only one small cottage-type home with 4 small rooms. Children are lacking basis facilities like good food and shelter. They are confined with limited facilities. Though they are enrolled at Dhrubatara school near by managing schools fee, school bags, dress and stationary is toughest. Some locals have promised to cover rice to feed them for next few months.

You can see I am running this orphanage in rented land for which NRs 15,000 is decided per month rent. Two friends are supporting me taking care of children. Due to lack of sufficient space children are force to live difficult life. They are not provided with schools bag and stationary though they are going to school. Why, because I don't have resource to buy bags, copy and pencil. In order to overcome this problem I am searching people who can help me buying bags. I have a plan to build small cottage next to the main building. Build a toilet outer is also in my plan. But the problem is that I don't have money to build the house. I calculated that nearly 6 hundred thousands rupees need to develop both infrastructure.
 
The local community found to be more supportive. They are helping me run this orphanage. If people like you help me providing children with basic necessities I can mange to grow up these many children and help them build their future.

(Based on conversation with Til Bahadur Karki) 

0 comments:

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Blogger news

Blogroll

Archive